Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wendy's Words of Wisdom



I really love giving my kids baths. Yes, sometimes by that point at the end of the day I'm tired to my bones. Yes, sometimes I zone out a little and count down the minutes until I can just lay down for a second. But there's just something about watching my babies giggle their heads off as they get clean in the tub that warms my heart, makes me focus on them and effortlessly live in the moment the way I try so hard to do all day long. They just seem so cute and little in there. And I know there will be a day when they're too old for me to help them in this area (maybe it's because Ryan's aunt once started crying helping me bathe them because her children are now young adults and it brought her back). I've also been told that washing away the day helps prevent sickness (not to mention keeps their sheets clean a little longer). So I TRY to bathe them every night.

I always get Wendy out first so I can wrap her up in her hooded strawberry towel and hold her like a baby. This way I can get some one-on-one cuddle time with my un-cuddly child while Harvey splashes around a little longer. While cradling her, wrapped up like a little strawberry burrito, on the bathroom floor the other night, I asked her, "Wendy, will you just stay like this forever? I just want you to stay my little girl forever." Her answer was a whole lot of truth and it slapped me right in the face. 

Wendy: "Sorry mommy, I'm going to grow up. Every day I get a little older. You can't stop it... And I WANT to grow up. I want to be seven, and six, and five. I really want to be five! I want to go to school and have long hair and learn new things. And one day, I'll get married and have babies and you can love on THEM. So you don't have to be sad. But I can't stay like this forever."

Wow. I kid you not, these words came out of my four year old. Out of the mouths of babes, right?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

That answer brought tears to my eyes. Davin turned 5 today. And I discovered my last baby's first tooth. I'm really feelin' the whole growing-up-too-fast thing tonight. Also, bath time can be really magical. I give Talia bubbles almost every time because she loves them and she is only going to get bubble baths from me for so long! :)

Heather and James Georgianna said...

cute and i love that she puts the long hair part in there!

Sharla Watene said...

This made me cry!! It is so true, I want them to stay little forever but they want and NEED to grow up. Love that little girl!

Melany said...

WOW. That Wendy is one smart cookie! The fact that she realizes that one she will have children and that you will love on them is pretty amazing. It's funny, I'm 28 and I look forward to being a grandparent! That really is something to look forward to after our kiddies are grown up. I was holding Violet yesterday and just looking at her cute little pudgy hands and getting sad at how they won't stay that way, and other times I can't wait for her to grow up so I can have conversations with her. Raising kids is so bittersweet!